Conference Travel Recommendations

YYZ: Toronto Pearson International Airport
We expect that most IACS3 international participants (and many domestic participants as well) will fly into YYZ: Toronto Pearson International Airport. From there we recommend that you take the UP Express train into the city.

The UP Express train is the most time-and-cost-efficient means of transport from Pearson Airport (YYZ), to the City Centre (Union Station). See here for tickets and more information. For detailed information on fares see here. Standard ticket cost: $12.35 one way. Cost with Presto Pass: $9.25

Purchasing a Presto Pass
provides you with a seamless way to move between Toronto's many public transportation options from GO Transit and the Toronto Transportation Commission (TTC) to the UP Express--all at substantial discounts. This includes the subway system (TTC), the streetcar system (TTC), the public bus systems (both TTC and GO), commuter train options to the suburbs (GO) and the Union-Pearson express train (UP Express). You can purchase a Presto Pass card for $6.00 via mail or in Union Station upon your arrival. See here for more information and further instructions. Alternatively, you may wish to purchase a TTC Metro Pass--an option that might work just as well for anyone not planning to use GO transit or the UP Express. This may apply, for example, to anyone planning to arrive via YTZ: our city centre aiport on Toronto Island, also known as "Billy Bishop".

YTZ: Billy Bishop International Airport
If you are flying from New York, Chicago, Boston or Washington D.C. in the United States, you also have the option to fly directly into the Toronto city centre via Porter Airlines to YTZ: Billy Bishop Airport located on Toronto Island in Lake Ontario. Direct flights to YTZ Billy Bishop are also available from Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec City and other places in eastern Canada. For more information see here.

Other ways of getting around in downtown Toronto include taxi services, Uber and Bike Share options.

Crossing the Border: Canadian Customs
As a reminder, the US Department of State and Homeland Security’s announcement of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative states that all US citizens, Canadians, citizens of the British Overseas Territory of Bermuda and citizens of Mexico must obtain a passport or another accepted secure document to enter or re-enter the United States. For more information, visit

International visitors, please visit Citizenship & Immigration of Canada (CIC) website:

Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Canada has introduced a new entry requirement, known as an eTA, for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travellers with a valid visa. Entry requirements for other methods of travel (land, sea) have not changed.
Find out more about Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA). (